History

The Armidale School opened its doors to the first students in February 1894, having been established by private investors who were keen for northern NSW to have its own English-style public school. 

Originally known as the New England Proprietary School, its name was changed to The Armidale School in 1896. A year later TAS, as it is now widely known, joined the Association of Great Public Schools of NSW and today is the only non-metropolitan member.

Since 2010 TAS has been a company limited by guarantee, with the school’s board of directors accountable to 24 members, equally representing the Old Boys Union, Parents and Friends Association, the TAS Foundation and the Anglican Diocese of Armidale. The resolve of the founders was to establish a school with a philosophy which embraced the ideals of an independent mind and spirit, and promoted the Christian ethic.

More than a century later, this vision is still being articulated through the lives of its students and those who care for them.The TAS Cadet Unit, established in 1898 and now the second oldest school cadet unit in Australia, continues to be a living tribute to those who paid the ultimate sacrifice, including the 95 Old Boys and four staff who lost their lives in conflicts from the Boer War to Afghanistan. 

As a Round Square school, TAS is committed to the ideals of education through adventure, leadership and service, values that reflect an historical connection to the surrounding gorge country and national parks where much of the school’s outdoor program has taken place.

Meanwhile the Christian beliefs that underpin all that we do is reflected in the strive towards positive relationships within the school and externally. TAS is also proud to have an enrolment of 14 Indigenous students with whom we are providing opportunities for success, and enabling for all, new friendships and greater cultural understanding.

With a move to full co-education across all year groups from 2016, TAS is well-placed for an exciting new chapter as we make all that is best about the School, available to daughters and sisters, as well as brothers and sons.

To read Jim Graham’s A Short History of The Armidale School (1840-2008)A Short History of TAS