Croft House History

Croft House, the newest of the senior boarding houses, was established in 1986 and is named after a family associated with TAS since the school’s earliest days.

Many members of the family have attended TAS as pupils and several have served on the School Council and in executive positions on the Old Boys’ Union.

Sir Hugh Croft was a member of the Board of Directors (later the School Council) from 1914 to 1922 and his son, Sir Bernard, from 1950 to 1959.

Another son, Herbert, served from 1951 to 1980. Sir Bernard Croft’s son, Sir Owen, was a member of the School Council from 1977 to 1983. Herbert Croft was president of the Old Boys’ Union in 1955 and 1956 and Peter Croft has served as treasurer since 1981. Dick Croft, a well-known rugby enthusiast, gave great assistance to TAS in that sport over many years.

Herbert Croft laid the foundation stone in October 1985 and the building was opened by Sir Owen Croft in October, 1986.