Dangar House – Girls’ Boarding

It is fitting that the first building at TAS to be endowed by a woman has become, decades later, the first girls’ boarding house at TAS.

The CC Dangar Memorial House (as it was officially called) has been stylishly refurbished in 2016 to become a 30-bed capacity home to girls from Years 6-12.

This historic building is also the home of the Girls’ Education Director and a female residential duty staff member.

The building’s history dates from 1919 when the then Headmaster, Rev H K Archdall, persuaded the Board to establish a Junior School. The following year Mrs Nora Dangar, widow of Old Boy Clive Collingwood Dangar of ‘Gostwyck’ Uralla, who had been killed in the First World War, offered to pay for the building and equipping of a Junior House to be named in honour of her late husband, who had been one of the original students at TAS. Awarded the Military Cross for outstanding war service, he died soon after returning to Australia to recuperate from war injuries.

The plans for ‘The CC Dangar Memorial House’ were drafted by Sydney architects, Power and Adams. On 9 February, 1924, Mrs Dangar laid the foundation stone of the new building, which was officially opened later that year by the Governor, Sir Dudley de Chair. Apart from a brief period in the early 1990s when it was used for senior boarding, it was a home for junior boys at TAS until 2015.

With the introduction of co-education in 2016, new life is being breathed into Dangar which will continue to be a place where life-long friendships are forged and memories made.