White House History

White House is named to honour the memory of the White family, and especially the work of Frederick Robert White, in the establishment of The Armidale School. In 1879 White purchased two shares in the company that proposed to build a proprietary school at Blandford and in 1880 became a trustee of that company. When the Blandford scheme fell through, however, White strongly advocated Armidale as a site and spoke vigorously in its favour when the matter was heard in the Equity Court.

In 1888 he bought 22 blocks on the north-western outskirts of Armidale where he built ‘Booloominbah’ (now part of UNE) for his family. Together with Archdeacon Ross, he raised the £6,000 required to enable the scheme to go ahead and was instrumental in selecting the land on which to build the School.

He was a generous benefactor and amongst other things secured the property ‘Wakefield’ and surrounding 10 acres of land which is now part of the TAS campus.

The name also honours his kinsman Francis James White, another generous benefactor.

White House, designed by Old Boy architect Reg Magoffin, was opened by the Prime Minister, the Rt Hon R G Menzies, in December 1963, as a house for 60 boys from Years 8 to 12. In 2001 White House ceased to be a house for senior boys and became a home for boarders enrolled in the newly created Middle School. In mid-2015 construction work began on a new wing to enable accommodation of all Middle School boys in White House, freeing up Dangar House to be used for girls’ boarding from 2016.