Bell Tower Society

The Bell Tower is an architectural feature recognised by all Old Armidalians'. Its bell called generations of boys and girls to class, Assembly and Chapel, while the tower itself was also a place where mischief and many adventures took place.

As such, the bell tower symbolises the character of TAS students, who manage great personal achievement while still maintaining a healthy sense of fun and enjoyment. The Bell Tower Society was established in honour of our older Ulumni whose own tales we like to hear and savour. The current patron is Sir Owen Croft (1945-1949), at school he was a Monitor, received the Blomfield History prize, played rugby and was a member of the GPS Athletics team.
We are honoured to have him represent the Bell Tower Society. If you would like to join the Bell Tower Society, please contact Donna Jackson by email or call the Development Office on 6776 5851.

The Bell Tower Society Patron

We are delighted that Sir Owen Croft has accepted an invitation to be the new Patron of the Bell Tower Society.

The son of Old Boy Sir Bernard (1917-21) and Lady (Helen) Croft, Owen was at TAS from 1945-49. At school he was a Monitor, received the Blomfield History prize, played rugby, was a member of the GPS Athletics team and completed his Leaving Certificate. After leaving school he returned to the family farming business based at Salisbury Court, Uralla, where he developed a keen interest in sustainable agriculture through Landcare and the Rural Lands Protection Board, for many years as Chairman of the Armidale RLPB. 

From 1977-1983 he was a member of the TAS School Council, is a past parent and a current grandparent. On his father’s death in 1984, he became 14th Baronet of Croft Castle, a title established in 1671. He continues to be a keen supporter of the arts in New England.   

We are honoured to have him represent the Bell Tower Society.